I just got engaged – now what?
My wedding is now a reality and I have no idea how or where to start……
Ok breathe, you can do this. Let’s go step by step:
- Do a headcount. This will be your foundation and can always be adjusted accordingly.
- Consider the time of year and the weather to help narrow down venue options. Be flexible with dates, your first choice may not be available.
- Once you determine your location, you can establish the style and vibe you want.
- Time now for a rough budget. Make sure you know your maximum spending amount. This will alleviate any temptation to go over. Many vendors will offer high end products if you do not give them your budget upfront. Make that your initial conversation, if budget is an issue. This may also be the time to revisit the guest list and make any cuts or additions.
- Remember that food and drinks make up a large portion of your budget.
- Here comes the fun part….Once you have established the style of your wedding, it’s time for the dress. Deal with a reputable bridal company. Schedule your first appointment by yourself with the bridal gown consultant. Don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of time to take your mom, sister, bridesmaids and others to future appointments. Too many opinions can become very overwhelming and stressful.
- Does the venue include a wedding planner? If not, will you need someone to coordinate the process? If possible, it is recommended especially for a larger wedding.
- Spend time researching your music for the ceremony and reception. DJ and or live music.
- Transport and accommodations for out of town guests
This is a basic outline and please remember that “you get what you pay for”. You don’t want to regret any poor choices.
Happy planning and congratulations!!!